Monday, May 25, 2020

Day 1: Crooks Lake Lodge

Recently, I have been going through some of my personal belongings that have set idle for the last 4 years. I pull books and books about fishing out of boxes; fly tying books from Classic Salmon flies to Saltwater patterns and everything in between, fishing books from basic spin-fishing skills to advanced fly fishing techniques in fresh and salt water. I find a green booklet with an oak leaf labeled "Journal", I remember my father bought this for me to record my adventures for the summer in. Opening it up and scanning through the pages, most of them blank. I was frustrated with myself that I didn't record my day to days. Apparently work got too busy, or I was much to tired to even think let alone write about my days that season. Regardless, here is the first and last entry I made in my journal that June 2, 2016.

"Day 1: The day started early as we packed the Twin Otter full of gear, We stood eager on the dock as we board the aircraft bound for the wilderness of the Eagle River Plateau. Before I knew it we were in the air and flying over Goose Bay, and quickly my motion sickness kicked in. I swore that I was going to be sick a few times, but after what seemed like a long 25 minute flight, we landed at Crooks Lake Lodge. The wharf was submerged due to snow melt, and we had trouble docking. Once settled, each of us started to unpack all gear from the float plane and started to fix up the grounds. A long day of hauling boxes and fixing water leaks ended with a nice supper of pork chops and veggies. 

After supper we had a short exploration of the lake and surrounding pools. We motored down the lake dodging rocks as we reached the outflow. A difficult maneuver and I’m through the upper run of #1, we stopped to listen to Head Guide George Sheppard as he explained the fishing locations in this area. We then moved down to Pool #2, and anchor for a fish. I’m fishing my 10ft 7wt Vision Vipu with a Guideline Bullet 8wt line to toss the clunky articulated fish-skull baby brook trout pattern I tied up. First cast as my fly came to the boat I hooked and lost a good brook trout. After a few more casts I hook and land a fish that was approximately 5 pounds on the same fly. A quick photo with a big grin and my first Labrador Brook Trout is released safely. I am instantly distracted by a large pike swimming sideways in slack water?! I realize that this “big pike” was actually not so, as a much bigger one had it “T-Boned” and was swimming away with it. I Couldn't believe my eyes! After the fish swam away, I manage to catch two small pike before Perry Munro, George and I move over to Pool #2.5. 

We fish with no luck, and move back upriver through runs and dodging rocks until we reach the lake. We decided to troll one side of Duck Island, but this yielded no success. As we steamed up the lake I decided I wanted to head into the camp creek, I troll up and get to the corner pool and anchor. Within a few casts I hook and land a 3.5 lb Brook Trout and a small pike. I hook another brookie and lose it. I managed to raise a large fish twice and I decided to rest it. About 5 minutes later I put the fly over the fish again and I hooked it. A nice female about the same size was the one previous. I released the fish and pull anchor. As I made my way back to the lodge, I felt proud to have caught so many fish at my first attempts at Crooks. I dock the boat, tidy up and sit in for a quiet night in the guides cabin.
- C.S. "

Here are some pics from that first week or so of guiding at Crooks Lake Lodge.
Above: Looking up Pool #2 in High Water
Below: Pulled up on East Bay


 Above: My first Labrador Brook Trout
Below: My first client Alex Stratton and his first Labrador Brook Trout

 Above and Below: A couple fine Brook Trout from the Camp Creek

 Above: Alex Stratton hooked up on an indicator rig at the far side of #2
Below: Kyped up Humpback Brook Trout from the Camp Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment