Friday, April 3, 2015

A good day but a cold one at that.

Well, its been a long winter and it may not be over yet. The snow is still around and the lakes were still very much full of ice. The night before I made it back to Stillwater after a long day on the road from Charlottetown. I then set all my gear out; waders, flies, rods and packs with Snowshoes waiting at the door… I woke early, about 7 am and ate breakfast, got dressed, put my pack on as well as my snowshoes and off I went over the hill and up the old logging road.



The walk was about 2km from home to the stream but It made it easier hoping that it would be unfrozen. I had reached the old road that crossed the stream and found the deadwater stream to be free of ice and looking quite good. I then put together my rod, tied a leader and tippet and attached the fly.. A Black Ghost Zonker was my first choice as it usually produces well. No tugs, no nothing.

Tried a few other flies and decided to change my location. Now, Im not sure it was a good idea leaving my snowshoes at my first location because in areas the snow was up to my thighs, but i trekked on.. Eventually finding some nice water, a few natural dams,as well as some big pine (dead and alive). I noticed on one Pine that was still living that it had many holes liked from a Pileated woodpecker. Also, a few Mainland Moose tracks were seen as well near that location.

As I fished on I reached the final "pool" before the stream turned quick as it ran from the lake,  it was a nice pool almost perfectly circular. This was the most promising looking spot I had found today, but no tugs or any movement. I decided to walk the stream to the lake, as I've always wanted to see what it looked like. I walked up and found the outflow was very scraggy, the stream ran through the standing woods and had no opportunity for fishing. But I decided to fish the outflow although the amount of open water was less than adequate.





 I then packed up my fly rod, reel, pack and decided it was time to head back to my little "base camp" where I had left my snowshoes in the snow poking up like little signs. This time I returned on the other side of the stream which now that I look back was a mistake. The snow was even deeper on this side and was not as compacted so I had sunk very deep into the snow and almost had gotten stuck. I made it back to my snowshoes and had a drink of the water I had brought with me as well as a granola bar for the way back.

As I walked out the old road and onto the logging road I thought of the stories about huge fish that were caught in and around those waters, I thought about how beautiful that area would be in late May or Early June… The blackflies, Mosquitos and Deer flies would be treacherous I thought, but I knew that it would likely be worth it. I made it home just as Mom was serving the Lasagna dinner, had a great dinner to complete a beautiful day at home.. Today was a great day, and I cannot wait to have many more like this one.

Chris

1 comment: